

It was pottery last night and I had a go at scraffito. I know that there are some potters amongst you and I’m not attempting to teach grannies to suck eggs, but for those who don’t know the term it means scraping back a coloured pot to the base clay. See the above pot to get the idea, and more about it later.
I found this very satisfying and really can’t wait to bring some stuff home. So far we’ve only brought home one thing but I’ve got about five things waiting for their final firing.
There is a great tradition of potting in Bideford, Barnstaple and a small town in between the two called Fremington. Sadly as an industry it disappeared from Bideford and Fremington long ago but Barnstaple and the famous Brannam pottery held on till last year when it finally succumbed to market forces and went bust. Pottery from all three towns crossed the Atlantic with the Pilgrim Fathers and shards are often found when they excavate the early settlements.
One of the most popular local designs was the harvest jug and a local potter called Harry Juniper has made them his speciality. I have always lusted after one, and as you can see at last I got one. There is a bittersweet story attached to it though. OH who is not well known for his grasp of birthdays and anniversaries surprised us all when in early 1997 he started saying that it would be our 25th anniversary. Well nobody bothered to check and mother commissioned Mr Juniper to make us a personalised harvest jug to mark the occasion complete with names and dates. Too late I realised that we were a year out and the 25th would actually be 1998. So my lovely jug carries the wrong date and we received it a year early. I must write a special card to live inside it to explain the mix up and I hope our descendants will see the funny side.
I found this very satisfying and really can’t wait to bring some stuff home. So far we’ve only brought home one thing but I’ve got about five things waiting for their final firing.
There is a great tradition of potting in Bideford, Barnstaple and a small town in between the two called Fremington. Sadly as an industry it disappeared from Bideford and Fremington long ago but Barnstaple and the famous Brannam pottery held on till last year when it finally succumbed to market forces and went bust. Pottery from all three towns crossed the Atlantic with the Pilgrim Fathers and shards are often found when they excavate the early settlements.
One of the most popular local designs was the harvest jug and a local potter called Harry Juniper has made them his speciality. I have always lusted after one, and as you can see at last I got one. There is a bittersweet story attached to it though. OH who is not well known for his grasp of birthdays and anniversaries surprised us all when in early 1997 he started saying that it would be our 25th anniversary. Well nobody bothered to check and mother commissioned Mr Juniper to make us a personalised harvest jug to mark the occasion complete with names and dates. Too late I realised that we were a year out and the 25th would actually be 1998. So my lovely jug carries the wrong date and we received it a year early. I must write a special card to live inside it to explain the mix up and I hope our descendants will see the funny side.



14 comments:
Woops, double dollop of picture. Toady
Ah well at least he remembered - your jug is lovely. I know Lixtroll will be excited about your pottery - which implies that I am not - drat will have to go and stick head down loo and flush . . . . again
How funny about the mix-up. At least his heart was in the right place, and you did get your jug! It's lovely. I didn't know that about the pottery in your area, how sad it's all gone now.
Hello Toady -- that jug is wonderful. Of course, you will write a note to go inside it -- and you will write it left-handed. Carrying on from yesterday, I am left-handed, as was my father and one of my brothers. My mom and other brother were the minority in our household.
I always notice immediately when I am in a setting that has been set up for the "right" folk. Then I begin to make my adjustments.
xo
My parents celebrated there's a year late!! Thought of you yesterday as went to a vide grenier and got 3 blue wedgewood cups and saucers for 2 euros adn a selection of beautiful old Breton plates ! Hah! I like slip ware have you tried doing that yet?
My parents celebrated there's a year late!! Thought of you yesterday as went to a vide grenier and got 3 blue wedgewood cups and saucers for 2 euros adn a selection of beautiful old Breton plates ! Hah! I like slip ware have you tried doing that yet?
Blimey Toady, I thought you had made the jug! Progressing nicely was the phrase that came to mind!!! Shame about the pottery trade in your area xx
Oh that's a lovely story - doesn't that make your jug even more special?
Beautiful jug, quite Grayson Perryesque, but presume no naughty pics around the back?
Love going to St Ives and peering at the pottery in the Tate there.
Interesting blog. I collect Susie Cooper scraffito plates. I love that sort of pottery. Love the jug.
What a lovely jug! I'm very impressed, glad you explained technique I didn't hAVE A CLUE!
lovley pottery i bet its relaxing to do the lessons and rewarding i would like to give it a go xx jep
I have tried modeling in clay and love it, I really must go back and have another go you have inspired me. My first husband Auntie lived in Bideford and we visited several times.
P.S. Dont forget he card inside the jug along with a copy of this Blog.
Blossom
How lovely to use your hands so creatively - I imagine it feels wonderful to work with clay.
Post a Comment