
To the best of my knowledge my great grandmother was not a Nazi sympathiser. I never knew her and I don’t have her dates. She made the two tablecloths in the picture. Look carefully at the one on the left. The swastika, a 3000 year old symbol used in cultures all over the world from India and China through Europe and even Native Americans. It was variously the symbol for life, the sun, good luck and perhaps more sinisterly power and strength.
My guess is that the cloths are between 80 and 100 years old. The lace is of the crochet type and is in perfect condition. I occasionally use the one on the right with the flowers and partridges but the one on the left is never used. Now because of it’s decoration it is no longer a thing of beauty, but it was made with the same love and care of the other one. So it will go on down the family staying wrapped up in the back of a drawer or cupboard until – when?
My guess is that the cloths are between 80 and 100 years old. The lace is of the crochet type and is in perfect condition. I occasionally use the one on the right with the flowers and partridges but the one on the left is never used. Now because of it’s decoration it is no longer a thing of beauty, but it was made with the same love and care of the other one. So it will go on down the family staying wrapped up in the back of a drawer or cupboard until – when?



11 comments:
Oh how sad that it shouldn't get used and how sad too that what was once a symbol of beauty became so corrupt and stayed that way.
Such a beautiful piece of lace, such a shame the symbol has been corrupted , and you feel unable to use the cloth.
Oh I do love old lace and old linens. I would use it - tell people its the Isle of Man manx symbol!
I love old lace too, I wish we had family heirlooms like that. Maybe, one day in the future, the symbol could be reclaimed.
HOW sad-such lovely work-I love to see lace making. You can treasure it Toady and keep it to yourself.
warm wishesxx
PS-Thank you for your kind words-you will be pleased to know I have been to doctor today-VERY hard step for me. I've told no-one and have put it off for months! Your support (and others) has helped me face it all and accept I can't do it by myself. Turns out I may have a Seratonin/hormone/chemical imbalance brought on by stress over the last couple of years. Blood Tests, Prescription and appt to see Counsellor. I'm not going mad, eh?
Don't I always say that things happen for a reason and I would never have gone if I hadn't 'met' you and my other cyber friends. Thank you Dear Toadyxx
i to love lace so nice to be passed on down through famliey what a lovley smart front garden .xx jep
Hi Toady - just dropping by to get caught up and loved your last three blogs. My dad is left-handed and he had his hand tied behind his back, just as you wrote. His handwriting is terrible!
The lace is a treasure. So sad that the symbol was taken and corrupted, but I agree that it should be used - maybe its time for the world to take the symbol back. I hate it when bullies get even a wee victory.
And the anniversary jug....I love quirky stories and that one will go down in family history, I'm sure.
I realized this morning that I answered your question in my blog comments (it was late!). Yes, there are little Tyronlean people on the cloth - it was a gift from my sister.
Oh do send it over dear madame grognonne has the same pattern on the edge of her knickers, or so I am givenm tounderstand!
One of the minor things that have always pissed me of about the nazis is they way they stole an international symbol of peace and turned it foreverinto a symbol of evil. so walt disney of them I feel ....didn't like thier taste in lampshades either.
We have a cup and saucer in the same design in a cupboard somewhere...You pottery blog i love the jug ,theres alocal potter here who does everything in honey glaze and i'm an avid collector, love the colours...
I have just had a lovely time catching up on your blogs, Toady! My brother is left-handed and a superb craftsman and musician.
I am very envious of the beautiful anniversary jug! Never mind that the date was a little previous!
And such beautiful lace, I have some of my great-grandmother's which I absolutley treasure.
Just plumped on your blog to read, Toady, as I flit around and glad I did. So interestng. I have a lot of family stuff and a compiling a blog about something at the moment. Like Countrymousie I adore old lace and linens. It would be interesting if you could find out more about your great grandma's dates and the cloths.
Post a Comment