
Do any of our older contingent remember Clothkits? For those that do not Clothkits was a fantastic company that made sewing kits for ladies and kids clothes. You would receive screen-printed fabric that you would cut out to the required size, buttons, thread, zips and instructions. No faffing about with tissue patterns, just cut and go. The designs were delightful especially for little girls. I remember a lovely two piece sun set with a tiered skirt and sun top in pale blue with a printed pattern, a delicious sundress with a frill and decorated with fruits and a padded jacket printed with animals with secret pockets where you hid four small stuffed animals provided with the kit. This was much admired and when my daughter grew out of it it went over to France for our friends’ son.
For myself I remember a reversible padded jacket and a summer jacket printed with flowers and birds. I think they were eventually taken over by the Freeman’s catalogue and then they disappeared.
The picture shows my daughter when she was about 7 modelling the fruit sundress and a beautiful French plait. I would love to say that the plait was a result of her mother’s talent but no. Can you believe that OH, all 6’4” of him, with hands like shovels would sit for hours patiently teasing that beautiful thick waist length hair into a wonderful neat French plait. I’m not a great one for fiddling with and styling hair, no talent and no patience. He once sat and plaited it all into dreadlocks. It took three hours. I think he missed his vocation.
For myself I remember a reversible padded jacket and a summer jacket printed with flowers and birds. I think they were eventually taken over by the Freeman’s catalogue and then they disappeared.
The picture shows my daughter when she was about 7 modelling the fruit sundress and a beautiful French plait. I would love to say that the plait was a result of her mother’s talent but no. Can you believe that OH, all 6’4” of him, with hands like shovels would sit for hours patiently teasing that beautiful thick waist length hair into a wonderful neat French plait. I’m not a great one for fiddling with and styling hair, no talent and no patience. He once sat and plaited it all into dreadlocks. It took three hours. I think he missed his vocation.



17 comments:
I remember clothkits,but as hand me downs from a friend, they where gorgeous!
YES!! I had clothkits for my daughter (who is now, um, 46, shh). They were a great idea, and super designs and colours. Love the photo.
Oh yes I remember them, I love them how strange that we forget these things, perhaps we should think about starting up a company again to make them.
Blossom
I remember clothkits too, like Bodran as hand-me-downs. THey seemed to sum up that era!
I hadn't heard of cloth kits-sound just my cup of tea.
I learnt to do french plaits on a friends horse!!
And Toady-I LOVE your Photo-you are so brave! You are the first person who looks just like I had envisaged, only younger. Lovely lovely.
warm wishes
xx
Chickangel you say all the right things.
Never got clothkits, but they look great, what a lovely dress. I am a bit poor when it comes to the old sewing department, could do with your hubby to do my daughter's waist length hair.
Goah yes I remember my sister making them for her daughters when they were little and when I did teaching practise my teacher had a glorious jacket made by them!
Oh Yes! I remember Cloth kits, My mother in law made up several little outfits for the older girls when they were young!Great fun.
Oh CLothkits, am sure mum made me something from there. And I now know you! If you get accosted in the street by an odd looking skinny woman with frizzled hair that'll be me! Love the pic of your little (then) girl too. xxx
Oh yes I too remember Clothkits. Ther were a symbol of their time and then they just vanished.
So sorry to hear about your loss of nerve in the car - been there so know how scary it is. Was it brought on by your depression? Tell me to go away if your Headmistress is being too nosey!
cricky, yes l remember clothkits but l can't remember in what context? l think Mum used to make them up however l used to do loads of dressmaking in my teens. Was l strange?
I remember clothkits too - along with Pippadee - that took me back a bit. I may go back to dad's and have a look through my old clothes - I might still have a bit there. I guess us old girls in our 50's or late 40's will recall all sorts of things. I also now remember Tangee lipstick - it was orange and I thought I looked the bees knees. Yeh., right!!
Yes, I remember clothkits - the padded jackets - and the ones for little girls had matching teddies and farm animals and stuffed horsies. No one else that I knew over here had them - I got the catelogues from a British exchange officer's wife - quite exotic for small town Canada at the time.
I remember them, Toady. They were so bright and cheery. I have just had a great time catching up on your blogs as the bloody computer has been playing up and I am now behind on everyone. The one about the lace made me laugh out loud - the idea of hanging it with all the associations seems impossible and yet, as you say, the original connotations were pure. It was just the funniness of the picture that got me going! Thanks for the comments on the writing exercise, by the way xx
My children lived in Clothkits - and very smart they looked too. Ha! Those were the days.
Clothkits, it's been bugging me all day, they still exsisted up to 8 or 9 years ago, but updated (clothes made up), but still quirky designs and little animals to put in pockets, my daughter had a beautiful padded jacket, I wonder if they are still on the go, must google them
Post a Comment