
My new role as chief flowerbed monitor came to the fore yesterday. We spent the afternoon pulling my daughter’s garden back into shape. They have both been working so hard lately and neither of them are ‘gardeners’ but in 3 hours we knocked it back into the pretty little space that was hiding underneath. Of course the boys had to take charge of the new toys – new strimmer and mower - so daughter and I set forth with secateurs to cut back the shrubs. Now none of them know a weed from a hole in the head, so I had to be quite bossy [ yes me bossy? Moi?] as to what to pull out and what to leave and I had to be very strict at times. In the end we managed to fill the large trailer with assorted grass mowings, shrub trimmings and dead wood. We finished the evening with pizza and salad sitting in the splendour of our efforts and managed to stay out till 7pm when the air cooled off with the tide turn.
The terraced fisherman’s cottages in Appledore work there way up the steep slopes so all the gardens are sloping and many are on the strip system whereby one cottage has the first length of garden and the neighbour has the second. Daughter and partner have the first length nearer the cottage and their neighbour Sam has the second. Sam is a true Appledore boy and does not hold with gardens for decoration and his is put over to the cultivation of veg and some flowers. He grows lovely dahlias for cutting and sweet peas. I fear that he is a little behind this year, He is quite elderly so perhaps it’s starting to get too much for him.
As we left last night, the back way ,we met the neighbour the other side. As you reach the lane at the top of the gardens you can then see over the rooftops to the fabulous view of the Torridge Estuary. The neighbour ushered us into what looks like a rickety old garage but inside he had converted it into a summerhouse. Not very tasteful to my eyes – it was complete with bar festooned with fishing nets and seaside paraphernalia, a sofa bed, wide screen TV and music system – but with a million dollar view out over the estuary. Now I have something else for my wish list for our retirement house.
The terraced fisherman’s cottages in Appledore work there way up the steep slopes so all the gardens are sloping and many are on the strip system whereby one cottage has the first length of garden and the neighbour has the second. Daughter and partner have the first length nearer the cottage and their neighbour Sam has the second. Sam is a true Appledore boy and does not hold with gardens for decoration and his is put over to the cultivation of veg and some flowers. He grows lovely dahlias for cutting and sweet peas. I fear that he is a little behind this year, He is quite elderly so perhaps it’s starting to get too much for him.
As we left last night, the back way ,we met the neighbour the other side. As you reach the lane at the top of the gardens you can then see over the rooftops to the fabulous view of the Torridge Estuary. The neighbour ushered us into what looks like a rickety old garage but inside he had converted it into a summerhouse. Not very tasteful to my eyes – it was complete with bar festooned with fishing nets and seaside paraphernalia, a sofa bed, wide screen TV and music system – but with a million dollar view out over the estuary. Now I have something else for my wish list for our retirement house.



14 comments:
Caome over and do our garden toady PLEASE!!!!! oh and bring garden room and view with you!
You sound just like me I always end up doing the childrens gardens as well, they are getting better, but I di worry a bit when Gemma rang and asked me which way up she should plant a Lupin Bulb!!!
Best Wishes Blossom x
Yes I get son's garden in order each year - he is down on the valley floor so at least he has got soil! We live on a hillside with a sloping garden - its so steep we have a handrail and cutting the lawn requires use of abseiling technique!
I could do with your help here to "pull my garden together. Stan is not a gardener, except for chopping things down I want to keep! and I can't physically do much yet!
That garden room sounds like something out of the 'men and sheds' book!
Toady, please can I join the queue too for your gardening services? I have been out all weekend bent over my flower beds and an extra pair of hands would be terrific! Seriously though, you are a star! And I have longed for a little summerhouse or my own den for ages............ no sea views here but we have gently sweeping fields leading away to the Malverns.xx
Good Morning from New York, Toady.
I loved reading about the sloping gardens, and also about your original move to Devon. It is amazing to think how prices have changed (sometimes my economic monitor for inflation is the price of a "cheap" candy bar.
I do know of Dr. Who, and liked the way back Dr. Tom something....?
We do say "a bit iffy" over here, even when something might be a lot iffy!
xo
That brought back memories of a holiday we had in Appledore two years ago. Lovely views. I have always wanted a little summerhouse, but I agree my interior decor might be somewhat different. Sitting out until even 7.00pm is pretty amazing for April, isn't it?
You do sound a lovely mum-hope your daughter appreciates it.
If not, I could do with you here-our garden looks like a giant sheep pen!! And ours is on a real slope too, although wouldn't think as much as those sound.
It is lovely to all work together like that-makes light work of it and you can see the difference.
warm wishes
xx
PS-Good to be back, properly-thanks for all your support, my friend.x
can you come & do my garden? oh..hubby has just been in with, oh no, the strimmer?
the garden room sounds lovley with the big tv in will you pop and help me x jep
Funny how people would put a tv in a summer house - you'd think they'd just want to look at the scene and hear the birds - I would.
thanks for suggestions as to daffs. not thalia as have that elsewhere (lovely, isnt it?) but could be one of the others. have you used the RHS website? that's good too but i do like the book.
I wish you lived nearer Toady, I could do with your gardening skills here. Summerhouse with a view, bliss, hopefully it will get off the wish list and become a reality.
Post a Comment