Sunday, 2 December 2007

My First Christmas Fair


Blimey did I have the jitters on Friday Morning as we loaded up the van. Everything had been checked and rechecked, lists gone over ad infinitum, did I have enough change, have I got enough stuff, will I be too cold/hot in the marquee - I was driving OH potty. Then clutching my bottle of Bach's Rescue Remedy we were off down the windy road to Torrington that follows the twists of the river Torridge. It is said to be one of the prettiest drives in Devon but that was by the by as we drove through early morning wind and rain in the dark.

The marquee was a hive of activity when we arrived. We quickly unloaded the van and I started setting out my pitch. I had done this in my mind's eye several times but of course the reality was quite different - too much stuff. After a lot of reshuffling and primping I was finally happy and I had a chance to greet my neighbours and get my bearings.

On Friday traffic was fairly slow but I did take enough to cover the cost of the pitch, so I was happy. In the afternoon torrential rain started falling so that was that really. Saturday was busier and I'm pleased to say that taking into account all costs I've come out at a small profit.

It was a useful exercise in as much as I had a good chat to other stall holders and learned of the good fairs and venues in the area. The good thing is that it hasn't put me off. The old brain is firing off again - it wont make me rich but I'll settle for mildly content. I'm cetain that after such a tricky year the stitching has saved me from a complete plunge into the depths of another nervous breakdown giving me something to focus on, and that is a price beyond rubies.

14 comments:

Pipany said...

Oh thank goodness it's over Toady! Well done you - can only sit here in deep admiration. Sooo much stress, worrying and nervousness (and that was just me!) but you did it and did it well too. So pleased for you and that stitching will always be therapeutic - keep going girl! xx

Frances said...

Toady, Your stand just looks so welcoming ... and the picture doesn't even include You! Well done on your premier.

Doing anything is always so very different from the planning. (I continue to teach myself that with regard to the shop, daily!) I like to plan, but have to get used to seeing lots of my expectations tested by reality. And that is how I learn.

I am glad that you've made some contacts, and are even more ready to go forward. New sewing machine and great ideas.

Cheers to you, Toady. You are having a fine finish to 2007.

xo

Anonymous said...

Well I'm not just saying it, but your stall looks fabulous. You have worked so very hard. You deserved to make a large profit but making a small one is better than none!! Well done for getting through the two days and I wish you luck for the next one.

Crystal xx

Elizabethd said...

What a very attractive stand you had, I'm sure it would have drawn people in, but obviously the weather didnt help. It is only the start though, and valuable experience, I imagine.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

It looks wonderful Toady. I love doing craft and farmers markets with my pickles its such a lovely atmosphere and once you have covered the cost of the pitch ...well its downhill all the way...keep going Toady

Faith said...

As everyone has said, it does look really pretty Toady, well done indeed, and coming out at a profit is excellent. And as you say the important thing is it has given you a focus for your thinking. As someone who has been very down at times this year I know how hard it can be to pull yourself up, and you've done it and made all these lovely things into the bargain. Fantastic!

Norma Murray said...

Brilliant. I know they can be a bit nerve wracking. I must admit your stall looks very attractive indeed. I'm glad it all went well. You are right, careful planning is so important.

Kathleen said...

Toady! Your stall looks wonderful! So colorful and full of your handmade beauties!

Anonymous said...

Your stall looked wonderful, I used to love doing all the Christmas fairs and stuff, but after about 10 years of it, I'm not sorry this year to be missing out all that loading and unloading, best feeling is if on occasions i sold so much I hardly had any stuff left to take home (that happened about twice)

Zoƫ said...

Fabulous stand! Now, I am seriously tempted by the pinny, have sent you a PM to ask how can I buy one please

Suffolkmum said...

Well done Toady. We are all so proud of you! Just to echo everyone else, the stall looks fab, and I'm so pleased that you did it, and were successful too.

Tattieweasle said...

It's brill! And so glad you came out of it with profit in more ways than one!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Well doen Toady, Iused to love meeting the other stall holders at teh fayres adn after a whiel it becomes like a big fmaily!! Glad you did well, your stall looks fantastic!!

Exmoorjane said...

Ah, I've come late and everyone has said the important stuff. But must echo that it looks gorgeous and well done you! I could never do anything like that so my admiration is boundless..... more power toyour sewing machine and may 2008 bring more fairs, and wildly successful ones - you're a star! Janexxxx