Forgive me fellow bloggers [ I have not sinned, well just a little bit] and I have been casting my beady eye over the site but I have just hit my autumnal slow down. This is a natural occurrence for me but this time aided by a double dollop of Citalopram. Unfortunately this has been accompanied by a fleeting visit from the Black Dog intermingled by quick bursts of energy that sadly do not last. So that's me -what a contradiction I am.
During one of the energy boosts I rashly booked a stand at the RHS Rosemoor Christmas Craft Fair. Rashly because I will have to rely on my daughter or OH to take me and probably stay with me. You see in my mind sometimes I'm the person I want to be again. Independent, rushing hither and yon doing things .Sadly the reality is somewhat different. Ooops colour change there- gremlins
My little bit of sin is that I've ordered a new sewing machine. The other afternoon I curled up on the sofa with the Black Dog sitting in the corner and flicked through the myriad channels trying to find something worth watching when I happened across one of the Shopping channels selling a wonderful electronic sewing machine at a superb price. I hummed, I harred, I reached for the bank card - ooh that rhymes- and will soon be the proud owner of this wonderful contraption. My old workhorse is PD [pre daughter] so is at least 25 years old and has served me well. The thing that sold me the new one is that it has automatic threading and with my rapidly blurring eyesight should save a lot of cussing and frustration. Can't wait for it to arrive.
I met with Kate on Thursday to help her with her study into long term depression. A two hour question and answer session with the tape recorder going and I've brought home seven questionaires to fill in. This will be followed up in six months. Wouldn't it be wonderful to report to her in six months saying that I'm feeling wonderful.
The CBT course finished last week and the jury's still out. Sadly we were down to 2 for the last session. I found it fairly useful but fear that some of my thought processes are so ingrained that it would take dynamite to shift them. I'm still doing the excersises though.
Well let's look forward to next week and the arrival of my new toy.
Enjoy your weekend.
I'd Rather Dance than Watch
8 years ago



17 comments:
A new sewing machine! How exciting! Hope you have many hours of fun with it!
Now getting your new machine was a damn good idea - will help to motivate you when you the black dog is sniffing around. it is also a good sign that you were able to buy it for YOU.
Don't think about the Xmas fair other than to prepare for it - do not allow yourself to think about all the things that bother you - but concentrate on what you will enjoy there.
I do appreciate that you feel your thought patterns are too ingrained to change - but you CAN change them - it may take time and other courses, but if you really want to it is possible. Although sometimes it is easier to stick to the old thought patterns purely becasue they are more familiar, comfortable - if negative - and I am speaking from personal experience here.
You CAN do it Toady - tell yourself that everyday and more and more you will believe.
Berlimey rant and a half there . . . sorry if I am speaking out of turn. I think you are doing so fantastically well . . . don't you dare give up . . ok!
Hope the new sewing machine brings you lots of contentment. Don't forget that you have skills and abilities that so many other people don't have, and would love to have. Take pride in that.
Oh how lovely to have such a super new machine!! It will inspire you to even greater things!
I long for a Horn sewing machine, that's a machine set in its own table that extends for patchworkers. I would have to buy it in UK as they dont do them here.
From someone who can barely thread a needle I'm full if admiration. As for the new toy, well it's for work isn't it ? speculate to accumalate is my motto !!
Hello to you, Toady.
Good to have you back with a blog. And a blog that grabbed my interest.
If I lived closer to you, I would gladly go to be with you at the crafts show. Good that you are gonna do it, and the new sewing machine makes me quite green.
In a corner of a closet in this little apartment sits a heavy, though officially "portable," Singer sewing machine that I bought in 1967. I have never had it serviced, though think that I did once buy a new belt for it.
For decades I made most of my own clothes and also made lots of cushions, etc. with this little wonder. I can stitch forward and backward and do the zig zag. The zig zag makes buttonholes possible if you concentrate. Nothing else. The tension is not always reliable. I really cannot believe that machine still runs. Like an old car. I think it cost $100, which was some money in 1967.
Nowadays I do not do much sewing, and wonder at the projects I once finished. So, getting a new machine just seems like a grand idea. Let us know how it performs. I guess you can also keep your present machine, so you can have maybe a basic thread color always on that machine, and use the new one for "rapid thread changes."
I also like the idea of sort of retraining though patterns, and have tried some of that myself.
Back to the Christmas fair. I do like your rustic sheep. What else do you plan to have on offer? Maybe some sort of little angel ornaments to hang on a tree? Red and green aprons. I know you already have better ideas.
Best wishes, Toady. xo
I'd love to be able to use a sewing machine. Not sure I would do anything on it but just to say I could use one would be an achievement in itself for me. You are so very talented.
Don't hibernate, we need you!
Crystal xx
Hello! Nice to see a blog from you.
The new machine sounds great, and it will make your life easier too. I have terrible trouble getting the tension right on mine, I'm hopeless!
Hope you find longterm that the CBT has worked out for you.
Did your craft book ever arrive from America? I was once ripped off to the tune of £60 on Ebay, so disheartening as I'm a trusting soul!
Lovely to see you blogging again Toady, and I want to thank you for triggering my brain to getting that Dollshouse I have always wanted again.
Oh I would love to be able to use a Sewing Machine, saying that I would love to be able to sew. I still have my husband's mother's machine, it is a Singer, and she had it for many years, even learned to sew on it when she first was employed by the Queen's dressmaker - Norman Hartnell. I wish I had your talent Toady, you are very gifted.
Camilla.x
First task sew new lead and muzzle for black dog and leave him tied up outside Tescos or somewhere and let someone else adopt him!!
I envy your sewing skills bet I wouldnt even be able to work out how to use the machine let alone sew with it!!
Thanks for Thai curry link I have followed it thru!
oh Toady, I am so sorry to hear you have been feeling so low. I hope the fact that you have blogged means you are on a better keel. Don't let it beat you and focus as the others have said on the fantastic skills you have. You can do it! xx
Missed your blogs and posts Toady, sorry to hear you were feeling low. I hope your new sewing machine brings you lots of happy days. xx
Hi Toady
Always lovely to read your news - exciting about the new sewing machine - i'm still using the old Singer I bought back in about 1984. I remember a college friend wrinkling her nose about my decision to buy it instead of joining her on a skiing holiday, and it's something I've never regretted. It's only been serviced about twice, but has helped me make more curtains than I care to remember, clothes, bags, cushions, gifts, you name it... Hope your new whizzy electronic one brings you as much pleasure.
As for CBT, I was very sceptical at first, although in retrospect, I have found it helpful. If nothing else, it teaches you to step back from the situation and consider looking at it in a different way.
LBD xxx
I'm always in awe of anyone that has sewing talents. I am worse than useless in that department, and my efforts to sew even buttons back on reduce Ian to weary head shaking. Mind you, he was a tailor in his previous job, so I leave any task involving a needle and thread to him! Enjoy your lovely new toy xx
I have just been catching up and left messages on so many blogs that I am ashamed to have missed-any wonders you wondered where I had gone!!
Crikey-I think I should spend a whole night on here catching up on all the others...alas I have bags to make and e-bay listings on the go...you know how it is!!
You made me smile so much about your sewing machine-I am totally self taught and have progressed dramatically over 20+ years...
What sad cases we are!!
My latest sewing machine was one of the best presents the Workaholic Hubby bought me!
I have to say Toady, I really repeat everything on Headmistresses comments. I am with you completely on the ingrained patterns but you CAN change them...and YOU WILL....just give yourself time...
It really is LITTLE STEPS...building that confidence, building that self esteem,
The Sewing machine is just another little step in building this bigger/better you...
All this experiencing new things and successes will build your confidence.
And I hope the comments from some of the others shows you how people DO admire you and what you have achieved thus far. Now, don't you dare give in...YOU CAN DO THIS!!
And you know that I speek from experience too!
I hope this isn't too deep. I think you will get me as I think I do 'get' you now....
Keep up all your good work...and the blogging.
warmest wishes
xx
Self-threading??? Wow, I need one. I remember clearly as a child having to thread needles for my mother and being perplexed at how someone COULDN'T see the eye. Ah sigh.
Sorry that blinking dog is still keeping you company.....I think it needs rehoming....(smile) jxxxx
Well done you booking a stand...things are going onwards and upwards, mightily impressed Toady. Enjoy your new machine, I wouldn't know where to start.
Post a Comment