

With it's rich hues fading fast and the peppering of grey turning into a whiteout, I bought a permanent hair colour treatment [because I'm worth it] I had been using the 6 week jobbies but sadly they became not up to the job. So I'm now looking 20 years - well perhaps 10- younger, and it has given me a bit of a lift. While the dreadful potion was working we sat out in the garden to dissipate the fumes and I caught that autumny melancholy on the air. It was warm and still but there was that earthy sadness about that foretells change.
From our house we can see a portion of the Torridge bridge that soars high above the river and yesterday morning we watched the calvacade of trucks all with air horns sounding and lights flashing taking the kids on the annual beano. All the local truckers get together once a year and pick up kids from the hospice and special needs homes and schools and take them out for the day to the Milky Way, a local tourist attraction, where they get free reign of all the rides and facilities. The trucks are all decorated with balloons and streamers and a wonderful time is had by all.
Whilst in a girlie mood my daughter and I brushed both the dogs and thought we'd treat Max to a couple of bows. Now he's a he and has still got all the acoutrements to prove it, but doesn't he look pretty.
The other picture is of the cobaea which has at last flowered. I don't know why more people don't grow it because it is so simple. Great big seeds that don't need pricking out and in a good summer they flower right through. They start out cream, turn to this wonderful purple and then fade to a beautiful antique browny pink. It's common names are cathedral bells or the cup and saucer plant. Make a note to grown some next year.
Enjoy your Sunday.



20 comments:
The plant is beautiful.... and so is Max! I put bows in Yorkie's hair on special occasions, despite him being a boy.
I colour my hair - hate the smell. I tried a new brand without ammonia and it was much better.
Wonderful dogs, springers. It's 10 years since Molly died and I still miss her.
Thanks for the plant recommendation - will give it a go.
Welcome to the permanent hair colour brigade (been doing mine for years - as witnessed by the red stains on all the carpets wherever we have lived).
Fabulous plant - will make a note of it. jxxx
PS - not sure I'd dare put bows on Asbo. Not the bow type!
Oh Springers my favorite dog, we have had four English and one Welsh over the years, ( English easier than the Welsh, but as I am typing this I can say it as she won't hear!)
Never coloured my hair, been blonde all my life and now I am sure it is going grey in places so I am not sure anyone will notice the difference.
Love you shop goods I must come and have a look.
Blossom
Hello Toady,
I have been treating myself to a good catch up on your blogs.
The pieces in your shop look wonderful, as do the purple flower and that glossy spaniel.
Other than henna many years ago, and one exploration of red and gold at the crown (!) of a very short hairdo, I have never done any coloring. I just don't know if I would want to bother with the upkeep. So far, my white hairs are just drifting by in a very widely scattered pattern, so no decision is required yet.
Hope that you have a great Sunday, with lots of it spent out in the garden.
xo
What a great thing to do for kids with special needs.
Amy used to put bobbles in Molly but she hasn't tried on Sparky yet who is a little more feisty!
Crystal xx
My hair colour fades so quickly,then goes orange i think it must be the water!!!
Max does look pretty - what a gorgeous boy. The pink looks well against his brown ears - I could just stroke them they look so silky.
Mmmmm - gorgeous dog and beautiful flower. I think I'll try it and see if it is attractive to deer....always the test of what stays here! Have the cactus succumbed yet?
You'll soon get used to the pong... it's worth it! Glad it worked and you were pleased with the results. Max looks nice!
I do the hair dye thing too. But whatever colour it starts off as it always ends up reddy brown. Not sure why. Love the doggy pic!
Oh Max . . . you are so tolerant - I can't imagine our JRT allowing that, although the Collie might.
I have an appointment at the hairdressers on Tuesday - my own hair dying experiences have not been good - so I let the haridresser do it now and due for a trim . . so will think of you on Tuesday.
How come your cobaea has flowered. Mine is still a tangle of small green buds. I am so jealous! I bet we have frost before it blooms. What a swizz.
Well done to the truckers, we visited the Milky Way 14 years ago I expect it's much bigger now
Max looks like he's working on his modelling pout...more smiling than pouting, though. Yes, Autumn's in the air - any chance of an Indian Summer???
Mootia
x
That picture of Max with a bow is crying out for a caption! Brown Dog is a spaniel, too, and this summer, he's developed some rather lovely blonde highlights, so we can both identify with your blog.
Another wistful Autumn change blog, we are all so reflective! Lovely doggie, very sweet bows. I have just coloured away the greys too, with a semi-permanent, it's a bit black but will be a lovely shiny dark brown in a week or so, I just have to go through a week of 'spanish' hair to get the right colour in the end!
The Cobea is gorgeous, Sarah Raven always recommends it on her courses, it's growing the greenhouse at her home where you have lunch on the course - a purple and a white version, beautiful.
I have a Kitty spanish thing too. Actually look a bit rough, as if I should be frightening people into buying heather. Then it's nice, then it goes orange, then it's time to do a Jane and risk trashing the carpets. Am sure it would be cheaper and, ahem, slightly more successful to pay to have it done properly.
Max looks so sweet with his little girlie bows! I'm also part of the "permanent hair colour brigade"...I have had a big shock of gray in the middle of my head since I was 25. Started coloring it at 43 and love it. Not sure I will ever be ready to be gray.
Max looks like he has skool uniforms on!
I gave up dying my hair and now save myself £40 every 6-8 weeks. I am now tastefully white/grey/brown!
Wx
Post a Comment