Thursday, 14 June 2007

Time for a Blog


The wonky picture is of the newly installed plate rack. Yes OH managed to find enough tools to complete the job and I've spent hours trying to get it to look right. Being mildly OCD I'm still not happy so I'll probably be tweaking for months to come.


My double dollop appointment with the new Doc was very useful. It's like a breath of fresh air hearing some new thinking on the subject. The outcome is that I'm changing my medication from Prozac to Citalopram, if anyone has any experience of this drug please let me know. Apparently it's better for the the anxiety than Prozac. My mood has lifted wonderfully since being back on the Prozac but the anxiety has not lifted and it's still stopping me getting out and about. I've got to go cold turkey for four days between stopping one and starting the other so I'm putting that off until the last minute. The Doc has also referred me for some group counselling especially for repeat sufferers of depression. Apparently this is a newish thing. We'll have to see how it goes.


Thank you all for your feedback on the shop. I decided that the little energy that I have would be better spent in something positive instead of railing against the DSS. I've still heard nothing from them about the tribunal and the shop is proving to be a good distraction. If it's a success that's all well and good; if not I've got everybody's Christmas presents for the next ten years or the makings of a very posh car boot stall!

20 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

Hi Toady-that plate rack looks wonderful!!

So glad the doctor was positive. Makes you feel better to think you have something 'new' to go at.

I am not sure if you got my message a few weeks, but thanks, mainly to you, I went to Doctors a few weeks ago and admitted I though I was depressed. I cried and cried to her. I haven't told ANYONE, even hubby I went. She thought I may have a seratonin imbalance brought on by prolonged periods of stress. And she put me on Citalopram and recommended counselling!!

I felt quite sick and tired the first 5 days, but I have found it AMAZING. What with the medication and counselling and blogging, for the 1st time in years my head is clearing and I can see I am not going mad-there has been such a lot to deal with...and everything had caught up with me and overwhelmed me.

So good look with the new medication. Try and stick with it if you have bad effects-I am sure after a week it clears and you should improve. It is none habit forming and quite a wonder drug by all accounts.

And am so pleased for you that you have your little shop. it is important that we all have something for 'ourselves.' Good for self esteem and self respect, especially when we can't go to 'work'.

I am one of lifes eternal optimists Toady. So maybe,at last, we are getting there eh?...

Take good care

warmest wishesxx

annakarenin said...

The colour looks very similar to the Morris blue I have used on the woodwork and windows in my bedroom. Very nice not bad for a fiver!!
You have reminded me to go to Tintern car boot as there was someone selling great plants there when I went once.

Also really cheap good quality children clothes were being sold and I love Tintern so it will make a nice day out.

Good luck with the shop and the change of medication. I am getting ducks to deal with the chompers had enough of them this year.

Anonymous said...

hello, toady the plate rack looks great i love how you have put your diplay of plates and i think you can come and do mine for me , i told you my tablets the doctor has got me on the councelling not going to well for me seems to make me worse you will feel better when the new tablets have kicked in .the ebay idea is good one i find if i try to cram as much as i can into my day it makes me cope better i am always here for you toady thoe xx jep

Pipany said...

Hi Toady. I was prescribed Citalopram a few years ago when a belated reaction to loads of crap sent me down the spirally dark slope of depression. I was so reluctant to use anything but it was the best thing going. I had no side effects at all and began to feel better very quickly - within a week actually saw the mist lift. I think making the decision to do something made me feel more positive and therefore the drugs could work that much faster. I was ready, I suppose. Go for it girl and see the sunshine again. xx

countrymousie said...

Plate rack looks good - I too have a problem if things arent straight or level - drives him indoors potty.
I know about the drug you are changing to - I was given this to help me get over the shock of having a heart problem last year - didnt suit me so didnt take anything in the end. I felt too drugged up and doped to function, but hopefully you will have better luck as my Doctor said it worked for lots of people and is the drug of choice at the moment for deression and anxiety. Hope this helps.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Hi toady..I think I saw your name on my skelly in the cupboard blogs...well where hubby was suicidal ++ was Prozac which was changed to Citalapram which has been so much better.
Good luck with the medication and the shop

Anonymous said...

Is that the platerack you posted a picture of last week? It looks like a different platerack! How beautiful. I do hope you get better. Crystal x

Woozle1967 said...

Dear Toady - I love the plate rack and I love the cannisters on it too!! Have had a browse through your eBay shop - looks great.

Good luck with the new medication - I think we all have to try things for ourselves as we each react differently, and this could be the one for you. Persevere though, as usually it takes a little while for your system to get used to a new drug (says she who rattles when she walks!! I take steroids, an immune system suppressant, a blood thinner, HRT, calcium supplements 'cos I'm in an early menopause, another tablet to aid healing of sigital ulcers and an excess stomach acid muncher!!) So, believe me, it does take a while for the drug to kick in and for any side effects to work through.

Just seeing the change in you on this site is wonderful - you have come so far and now got your little shop too! Things can, and will, only get better for you.

Love, Woozle.xx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

How spooky is that - your name is right next to mine on the list, when I hunted you out.

Plate rack looks fabulous! Why don't I ever come across things like that at car boots?

Good luck with the new meds and the counselling. It does sound as though your new doctor is on the ball. Fingers tightly crossed for the changeover - keep us all informed.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

PS - Have just added your shop to my 'favourite sellers'. I have my eye on that soap kit! I've been wanting to make my own soap for ages - does it come with a mould or can you use your own?

Inthemud said...

Hello Toady,

Plate rack looks good! what a transformation you've made!

Glad GP appt was useful, hope tablets are better for you. I think it varies from person to person. Best of luck let us know how you feel in a week or two.

Wizzard said...

Hi Toady,

I have been on Citalopram for a couple of months now. It took about 3 weeks to have any noticeable effect for me. Like CCA I had some side effects which were worth it as I do feel much lighter in spirit now. I too had nausea, headaches, very very tired (still am) but now I have more energy for life. I do hope it works for you too. xx

Chris Stovell said...

I was prescribed Citalopram when Dad was dying. I had no side-effects and it just gave me enough protection to grow new skin and cope.

Suffolkmum said...

So glad the doctor was helpful. Sounds from the comments like the medication could be a really good thing. The plate rack looks fab ('m the same about things being straight)and the shop sounds/looks really exciting.

Faith said...

Toady, I sincerely hope the new medication works for you. The plate racks lovely - that sort of thing would be good to sell!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Hi Toady I am so glad that you have a 'good' doctor. You are putting alot of positives in you life . . .hard to do if you are feeling depressed. So glad that you were able to blog about it - not only are you helping yourself, but by the wonderful response you will all be able to help each other.

Please let us know how you get on with the mediaction. I have seen a wonderful change in Wizzard - she lives quite close to me and I am lucky to have her as my friend.

Posie said...

Hi Toady,
I was on citalopram a few years back, I didn't have any side effects. I never felt it helped much, but that was I think more due to the fact my depression was caused by a horrendous situation, and I needed the suituation to be resolved to help clear the depression. I had cognitive behavioural therapy and counselling, found both of those really helpful, but the best cure for me was something called sacral cranial therapy. It seemed to give me back the vital energy which had been drained from my body, allowed me to relax, and gradually increase my inner strength. It gave me a much needed light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck with the treatment. Having suffered from anxiety and depression I know how awful they are, and how disabling they can be.

Exmoorjane said...

What strikes me is how many of us on this site have suffered/are suffering from depression and anxiety....quite incredible. i do hope the change of meds is helpful - it sounds very optimistic from the comments here...fingers crossed. group therapy could be great too - maybe a sort of 'real life' purplecoo (no, maybe not!).
Thank you for your lovely comments and for asking about James. He is still in pain - but the doctors say there is no rupture and that it will jsut take time (possibly four weeks!). but I'm taking him to the osteopath tomorrow to get another opinion.
Lots of love
janexxxxxxxx

Frances said...

Hello Toady,

What a grand restoration. I do remember the earlier photo of the plate rack when you first found it.

Your ebay shop looks quite tempting. I bet it will be a success.

I agree with Jane's comment about so many people on the site having similar experiences. I don' think that I have had such, but ... could be wrong, or just not diagnosed! I don't mean to joke, because I have several friends who have been in the same depression.

Hoping that you and your new doctor can find a helpful route.

xo

Pondside said...

What a gorgeous shade of blue - and I love the collection that you've put on display.
Good to hear that your doctor is saying positive things. I hope things continue to improve for you.