
Maid of Kent's postings have prompted me to look out the photo of my gran and grandad's wedding. I'm guessing that the date was the mid to late 1910's as Mum was born in 1924 and Grandad was away a lot fighting for King and Country. He was in the Royal Hussars.
The chubbier ladies were all Grandad's sisters, all named for flowers, Lily, Violet, and Rose. The portly gentleman was Grandad's brother Harry. The thinner two ladies were Nan's sisters one named Nellie and unfortunately I cannot recall the name of the other sister or the young lad, Nan's brother, and Mum's gone to bed so I can't ask her. Nan was delightfully names Eliza Elizabeth and Grandad was Frank. They all survived the first and second wars I think and most of them went on to be £10 poms and emigrated straight after the 2nd war to Australia and New Zealand.
OH has been busy researching his family tree and had a great stroke of luck the other day via the Ancestors website. He had contact from a lady called Louise who it turns out is a distant cousin. She has done loads of research and sent through the post a massive copy of the R***r tree. It's massive , too large even to lay out on our bed. He was tickled pink. Sadly nobody famous, or for that matter infamous considering that most of them hailed from the seedier parts of East London.
OH is also tickled pink because he has been given a work's bonus of a trip to the GB Grand Prix at Silverstone. I can't think of anything I'd prefer not to do, it bores me silly but he'll love it.
I think we are paying the price for all that lovely weather in April. It's bucketing down here for the last few days and hammering all my new planting. Never mind. Roll on next week it's Wimbledon, hurray.
The chubbier ladies were all Grandad's sisters, all named for flowers, Lily, Violet, and Rose. The portly gentleman was Grandad's brother Harry. The thinner two ladies were Nan's sisters one named Nellie and unfortunately I cannot recall the name of the other sister or the young lad, Nan's brother, and Mum's gone to bed so I can't ask her. Nan was delightfully names Eliza Elizabeth and Grandad was Frank. They all survived the first and second wars I think and most of them went on to be £10 poms and emigrated straight after the 2nd war to Australia and New Zealand.
OH has been busy researching his family tree and had a great stroke of luck the other day via the Ancestors website. He had contact from a lady called Louise who it turns out is a distant cousin. She has done loads of research and sent through the post a massive copy of the R***r tree. It's massive , too large even to lay out on our bed. He was tickled pink. Sadly nobody famous, or for that matter infamous considering that most of them hailed from the seedier parts of East London.
OH is also tickled pink because he has been given a work's bonus of a trip to the GB Grand Prix at Silverstone. I can't think of anything I'd prefer not to do, it bores me silly but he'll love it.
I think we are paying the price for all that lovely weather in April. It's bucketing down here for the last few days and hammering all my new planting. Never mind. Roll on next week it's Wimbledon, hurray.



12 comments:
I just love all these old pictures and stories....I soak them up. Brill Toady keep 'em coming
Commented on your blog on CCW but also had a thought re dating picture, look up google image search on wedding dresses 1920 and you will see simular styles to those shown in your photograph. Note big long flowers which were designed to cover pregnancy during WW1 period, but am not suggesting any thing of the sort in your Grandmeres case!
Lovely photo. When we were in Australia last year we met a second cousin of my husband's family for the first time. She was in her late 70s and had always been in Oz, as her father had emigrated there. It was fascinating hearing family tales from her.
Ditto SBS-What a lovely photo and story. You are so lucky to have such a little gem.
warm wishes
x
Oh yes, Wimbledon. I'm not a fan I'm afraid. Not that I'm a feminist but I find it totally unfair how the women are only allowed to play best of 3 and get considerably less winnings. Mind you, have i seen somewhere that it's all changing?
Lovely photo. Aren't those clothes so feminine compared to the scruffy atire we (me) wears today!
I love all these old family stories too. Fascinating. THe woman on the left with the hat - she looks like you!
Super photo - we've got lots of old photos in our family. I think its all very interesting.
I should think the Grand Prix this year will be very enjoyable with young Hamilton there - great atmosphere and much excitement I expect.
Just found a very similar photograph of my grandfather's wedding but it is huge and wont fit on the scanner!! I may have to photograph it.
Great photo, I love the old ones, sepia especially.
Caitx
I'm really enjoying everyone's old family photos and histories. Let's hope the rain stops or at least slows down soon!
Hey Toady, me again. They said on the news that Bideford has flooding. You OK? Hope you are not up to you knees in water and sandbags.
Am so jealous of OH's success with the family tree/Ancestor website thing. Failed dismally for me. Seems like I've got to put some actual leg work in to get off the starting blocks, as some of my info must be a bit inaccurate and my grandparents are sadly no longer around to check with. One day I may get round to it, but I struggle keeping up with this site at the moment as it is.........xx PS - lovely photo.
Post a Comment