Sunday, 29 July 2007

Big Steps


Well I told you all in the common room about the counselling so I won't go on about it here. Just to say that it was fine. We were all at different stages and were a mixed bunch. Two were in fairly early stages and I could see from their eyes that they were very uncomfortable and a bit weepy = me four month's ago. Me and another older lady [my smoking buddy] who were'nt too bad at the mo, but have been through the doo doos on far too many occassions, and an older chap who I think had never had a breakdown but had a nasty dose of SAD last winter and was trying to nip it in the bud. I think the greatest achievement of the day though was getting home on the bus alone. I felt a bit fidgety but it was OK really.


I had a mystery phone call on Friday morning while I was at the counselling. Mother answered the phone to a Kate Pearson who wouldn't leave a message and would ring back. Needless to say she didn't and I'm left wondering. Was it a blogger? Now the name might be wrong and Mother may have mis-heard. By the by Mother picked up her new hearing aids on Saturday so I look forward to not having to to say everything twice. I'm quite relieved as it has only taken eight years to persuade her to get her hearing tested. It's been a bit like the Fawlty Towers episode with the difficult woman who wouldn't turn hers' on.


After much deliberation we have decided not to build a garage but to invest in a bigger shed. When we really thought about the houses that we have had with garages have never been used to put cars in but for storage. We would have had to have a digger in to dig out the base and neighbours warned us of lot's of complicated water pipes and sewerage arrangements that run underneath and we could see the £ notes mounting up quite alarmingly. OH eventually decided on the one he wants and I came home on Saturday to find that he had emptied out the old small one and made an impressive pile of it's contents in the middle of the garden all wrapped up in an enormous tarp and tied round with rope. The new one is coming on Tuesday and that will be when the fun starts. I've told him I don't want it to be nasty bright shed orange but stained in a tasteful pale green. Not impressed, although green is better than my original suggestion of lilac. He doesn't want it looking like some tart's palace. No taste that man.


I managed to catch the last half of 84 Charing Cross Road yesterday afternoon and immediately thought of our Frances, although I don't know whether Frances smokes like a train [ doubt it] or knocks back the gin like the character wonderfully played by Ann Bancroft. Lovely film, catch it if you can.


The picture is one of my new projects that I'm making and have put on ebay. The item number is 290144157900 if you're interested.


Well this is turning into a thesis so I'm going to stop now.


Have a good week.

12 comments:

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Hi Toady wot can I say - you are making progress . . . coming back on the bus was a huge step forwards . . .keep building on it and you could well be driving in no time. Well done too for starting your own business. Keep building on the positives and even be ok with the down days . . . when is your next meeting. Will you go there and come back by bus this time - good goal if you can.

Elizabethd said...

Well done, it can only get easier.
We had an integral garage , never used it as such, and the builder has just divided it into two, a laundry room ,and a study with a new door leading off the dining room. It meant having a new outside wall/window put in place, but has really been worth it. The huge shed we have could easily be a garage.

Faith said...

Toady I love the cushion, went to look at it on ebay. It would be great if you could put people's photos on. I would love one with my father as a baby on it!

Suffolkmum said...

Well done Toady, great progress. Good luck with the shed project.

Anonymous said...

Toady, I would love a shed. I'm not bothered what colour it is but I would just love to have a nice new erected shed that I could put garden stuff into. Probably a bit mad I know, we have umpteen sheds on the farm but they're all haunted, full of cobwebs and rats and have a terrible smell about them! You should be very proud of yourself today. The light at the end of your tunnel is very bright and very much in view.

Best wishes, Crystal xx

Blossomcottage said...

One small step for a man is a giant leap for a "Toad" Well Done, you are on the the move.
All the best keep leaping forward.
Blossom xxx

Woozle1967 said...

Hi Toady - was in your neck of the woods last week and thought of you. Went to Appledore and Instow and took my niece to see Harry Potter at Barnstaple. Glad to hear things are going well. Your cushion is great and I know what you mean about eBay/PayPal fees - much better to do what you are doing. But if it takes off, do get a website! Jimmy launched his a few months ago and it has nearly paid for itself already, but he still uses PayPal for payments (and gets the fees still but factors that into cost) or has cheques mailed. Good luck whatever you do! xx

Kathleen said...

I have periodic bouts of SAD myself...and here in Lima, it's gray and dreary all winter...such as it is. No snow, but no sun, either. What a beautiful cushion! You've inspired me to get on with my current projects! Now I've just got to brush the cobwebs off them...Have a great evening!

CAMILLA said...

Well done Toady, you are making brilliant progress.
I saw 84 Charing Cross Road, also saw it at a local Theatre, I just love that film. Best of luck Toady with the new business.

Camilla.x

bodran... said...

I've not been on a bus for years, park and ride doesnt count..Well done xxoo

Frances said...

Hello from New York to you Toady!

How glad I am to have some time this evening to do some catching up on my favorite folks.

I agree with all that everyone else has written re the bus, shed, and especially the beautiful project. You are very talented.

Now...just to clear the record. No cigarettes for me, ever.
And gin. Well, almost 40 years ago, I had my first and only gin and tonic. Did not agree with me. Much prefer wine, red and white, cognac, single malt.

We are now in the midst of the hot summer weather and it is no treat here in the city. I do like clicking about on the site and finding a little bit of a country breeze. We have the occasional thunderstorm just to clear the ozone, but were, thank goodness, spared anything like the flooding that spread across the UK.

xo

annakarenin said...

That poetry book was quite a find beautiful illustration with the poem.

Hope the sessions continue to help it must be a positive sign knowing that you are no longer feeling like in the other two are at the moment and back able to travel alone as well.

You wouldn't believe the rubbishg that came out of our garage when we moved kind of glad we haven't got one here to fill up.

The cushion is lovely look forward to seeing some more of your stuff.