Do people still save up or does everyone hit the credit card? After years of kids, mortgages and life in general we are now in the happy position of being mortgage free and having a little spare but as I'm sliding far too quickly towards the big 60 although I wont get any pension until I'm 62 being caught in this sliding scale to make everbody retire at 65, I'm starting to salt away ready for a rainy day. OH will get a fairly good pension but should he shuffle off before me I will only get half. Note to Pension Companies 'two cannot live as cheaply as one."
I remember at junior school we had a savings scheme. We had to take 6d a week on a Friday in a matchbox and this would be exchanged for a National Savings stamp bearing the image of a very goofy Prince Charles or a curly blond Princess Anne. I can't remember if they were of different values or if the girls got Anne and the boys got Charles, but I do remember licking the stamps and sticking them in the book. Who knows what it was eventually spent on but it has stayed with me all these years.
I have been fancying getting a small table top kiln so that I can have a go at glass fusing and enamelling. If they come up on Ebay the fight for them is palpable. You can hear all the rival bidders pulling hair and scratching to be the successful bidder. I haven't come anywhere near yet. So I have decided to start saving for a new one by dedicating any Ebay sales to the cause. Only up to £50 so far but I will continuing rootling about to find things that I really can live without.
+++++++++++
Minnie has made a complete recovery from her op and is fighting fit. The final bill came in at £730 . Petplan are taking care of £680, thank God for insurance.



6 comments:
I do remember those Savings stamps!
Blimey Toady, when I first read that vet's bill amount my heart was in my mouth. Yes indded, thank God for insurance. Good luck with the kiln xx
I save £2 coins - put them in a money box and when I want a treat like Stobo Castle I dip in.
The only things I use credit for are Mortgage and car loan.
You are definitely "Sensibly Careful"
Wx
Toady, I am so glad that Minnie is fully recovered ... and, of course, that you did have that insurance.
I have always been a saver, sort of living below my means whenever possible. That doesn't mean no treats, it just means not going over the top.
Here in the States a huge retirement funding crisis waits in the wings (alongside lots of others in those wings) because so many folks have not saved much, and so many employers ceased providing the traditional pension plans that helped our parents with their "golden" years.
The longer one can manage to work, the more she/he will be able to collect as monthly payment from our national Social Security plan.
I hope to hang on until I am at least 66, which is now not so far off. (Wish I could retire today, and return to art, but that is a dream, not reality.)
Best wishes and good luck with the kiln. Sounds like it would be a great purchase.
xo
I remember those savings stamps - haven't a clue what happened to the savings though. I don't think I ever saw the money.
Glad Minnie has made a good recovery. Insurance is a must - We are with Pet Plan - have been for years - and I can honestly say they have been fantastic.
Well Toady you know how canny teh Bretons are with not spending what tehy don't have, alas Mr Fartoocozy plans to try and encourage all to embrace teh Englsih credit systema dn les sour souls tote h likes of Barclaycard, he thinks its better for teh economy but I hope the people resist his temptation. A friend of mine has a very small tabletop kiln for annealing and fusing, not sure what sort but it was very cheap as its an odd looking design and people shy away from it but she says its great I shall ask her where she got it as knowing her it was rasonably priced.
Post a Comment