Friday, 19 September 2008

I Keep Walking in to Beryl Cook Pictures



I went to a small craft fair up the road in Appledore on Tuesday. I saw it advertised, and always on the look out for somewhere to sell a few of my bits, I started making enquiries. Finding it impossible to find a contact number I telephone the little library. The lady on the phone knew all about it except of course the surname of the lady who runs it so I couldn't look it up in the directory. Not to worry , she promised to pop a note through the door. The next day a very jolly lady contacted me and it was arranged that I could have a table at the fair for a very reasonable cost.


I was warmly welcomed into the fold, given a cup of coffee and introduced to the other exhibitors. We were mostly ladies of a certain age and I don't think I stopped laughing all day.


It was a lovely Fair - the church hall in Appledore has seen better days and the Fair is run to provide funds towards it's upkeep - neighbours popped in with their dogs, young Mums with pushchairs, pensioners on their way to collect their newspapers and a few late holiday makers.




I've booked to do the Christmas Fair and I'm shortlisted for the half term one which at the moment is fully booked but somebody may drop out.




+++++++++++++




Been out bagging bargains yet again. L wanted a dining table and chairs so we revisited the Jigsaw project mentioned in a previous blog but sadly nothing took her fancy so we went on to try to find the North Devon Hospice Furntiture Shop. After a couple of false starts we found and were very pleased that we did. L found a lovely pine table and chairs and I found exactly what I was looking for, a glass and solid teak circular coffee table that finishes our front room off a treat. All for the bargain price of £90 including delivery to Bideford. I'm becoming a bit of a crusader about not buying new furniture.




More bargains came when we visited a fabric shop in Barnstaple that is closing down. Oooh we did have a lovely time rummaging and could have easily bought twice as much. My best bits are these two. A lovely cream fabric featuring fairies and a retro looking beige featuring coffee cups. Haven't made up my mind yet what they'll be made up into but I couldn't resist them.
Well they say you turn into your Mother as you get older and I'm delighted to see that L has suddenly taken an interest in stitching. She has 'borrowed' my old sewing machine and has started making bags. Her's are much more funky than mine as she is really in to retro flower power fabric at the moment. Oh well La plus ca change etc etc.

7 comments:

Elizabethd said...

There are too many fabric shops closing right now, I wonder what it signifies?
I love Craft fairs, and your sounds very jolly!

Fire Byrd said...

Love the idea of walking into B.C. pics, those ladies have so much girly fun, so if your day was anything like that it must have been a blast.

Norma Murray said...

Gosh I wish I lived near Appledore. I've run out of places to sell my beads as the Gallery owner in our village has just gone off to live in France. Sigh!

Fennie said...

So agree with you about not buying new furniture. Old is far nicer. I can't bear to part with furniture and always feels a horrid tinge of regret when I see what are often sofas etc in good condition put out for collection by the council. Good luck with the selling.

Woozle1967 said...

Hey, Toady! Just popped in to say thank you for visiting my blog again! Have been a bit out of things since being poorly and haven't had the courage to say "I'm back" and so haven't done the announcing bit! But you right cheered me up for checking up on me and I could hug you for it. Have posted a few pics of our new bedroom and ensuite - rest top follow! xxx

Bluestocking Mum said...

Even though I have stopped my little crafting business I still adore browsing fabric shops! And of course going to craft fairs.

I have always been more inclined to purchase old furniture than new-there is something lovely about wondering where a piece has come from/it's history and like you I love to make over pieces.

Hope the run up to christmas goes well. It is something I will not miss this year,all that hard work.
Wish I was closer to come and buy some of your little bits and pieces

Take care
xx

Quilting Cat said...

I hope you did well at the Craft Fair, you have been very industrious and love those teddies.