Saturday, 5 July 2008

Trip to Cornwall / or who put the farting powder in the pasties










I shall type this in in sea green to remind myself on this utterly foul ,wet, cold and windy Saturday afternoon that I was sitting eating fish and chips overlooking crystal clear breakers and golden sands at Sennen Cove in the sunshine. The next bay up from the awful Lands End, Sennen has a wonderful curved sandy beach, a few cafes, a lifeboat station, a small working harbour and after quite a steep climb up the cliff, an old coastguard lookout with views out over the sea to the Longships Lighthouse and in the distance, the Scilly Isles. A little bit of heaven.






In what was a decidedly dodgy week for weather elsewhere we managed to stay dry and relatively warm during our trip westwards. No cossies or shorts, but good T shirt weather. We visited gardens and headlands,a carboot sale, stone circles, an ancient stone settlement and walked the legs off the dog. The carboot was fab and I managed to find somebody selling off studio pottery for £1 a piece. Unable to resist I bought 4 pieces and then just had to fill the boot with plants. Oh such bargains - I wish I could go every week.




The best garden was at the Trevarno Estate near Helston. Hidden down in a valley the paths led you up and down through jungly bits with tree fern and palms. There was a lake with two very feisty swans that chased me, and the delightful boathouse that boasts stained glass windows and a clocktower. As well as the grounds there is a Museum of gardening. They have managed to collect all those things that I would love to find. Old terracotta pots and watering cans, advertising posters, old tools and mowers, seed cupboards and even a mock seed shop filled with old seed packets.
So here I sit, mid afternoon with the lights on and the washing flapping wetly on the line. Welcom home.



7 comments:

Elizabethd said...

So glad you had such a lovely time in Cornwall. Trevarno is somewhere that I havent yet visited...maybe next time we go over.

Withy Brook said...

Lovely post, lovely pics. Hope you feel better for the break.

Wizzard said...

Sennen Cove brings back lots of happy memories of a college camping trip when I was 17!
We camped on the cliffs above the cove, just a walk down to the beach. We had beach BBQs, went Roller Disco in St Ives (I think) did lots of drinking! got sunstroke but had a thorougly good time.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, nice to have you back.

Wx

Bluestocking Mum said...

I did miss you!

Love your blog and good to see your humour there. I think I may well have to put Cornwall on the tour dates for 2009!

Sounds like you had a good time. Good to have you back
xx

Frances said...

Toady, your time away sounds like a fine holiday. Just enough to do, and just enough quiet time, too.

The car boot sale must have been fun. How did you hear about it?

Cornwall is one of those areas that I have never visited, so I will make some notes from your blog, about staying away from Lands End, and seeing Sennen Cove instead.

Welcome back. That laundry will dry eventually. Very wet Saturday here, as well.

xo

Exmoorjane said...

Sounds fabulous Toady - so glad the weather was kind to you. And bargains too? The very best kind of trip all round. Shall check out that garden the next time we get to Cornwall. Jxxx

Anonymous said...

Arhhh, sounds lovely, I so want to go to Cornwall again.

CJ xx