Sunday, 3 February 2008


It's so very difficult at this time of year to blog and not let it turn in to a litany of woes and moans so my blogging is a little sparse at the moment. This is my most hated time of year so I'll have a little moan first.

My 'glass' back has healed thank God without going into major spasm. I had a few tricky days wearing the scaffolding but have been able to go without it for 5 days now. Fingers crossed. The paracetamol stocks have been well and truly depleted. OH came home with a bug earlier in the week which he kindly passed on to me so we had a miserable couple of days sweating and having competitions to see who had the worst headache/achy bones/lethargy. Both on the mend now without any major trauma.


Last Sunday was one of those rare glorious winter days. Sunny and still with that tantalising whiff of Spring on the air. We went in to Barnstaple to buy some new floorcovering for the bathroom and on the way back went onto the Tarka Trail at Fremington Quay to have a bit of a walk. It was like an August day! The world and his wife had had the same idea. Fremington Quay is the old quay and railway station from where they used to load the ships with Ball clay from the quarry far up the railway line at Meeth. Sadly no trains now and the whole line from Meeth inland through to Barnstaple is now a walking and cycle path. Back in the 70's when there was still track they laid on a charity ride for the last ever train. We went from Barnstaple through to Meeth clinging to the banks of the Torridge. It must have been one of the prettiest train rides in the country.


In common with many 1930's houses we have the tiniest bathroom. A previous owner had taken out the bath and made it into a shower room only which is fine by us as Mother has to have a shower as she cannot manage a bath. I mention this because yesterday OH fitted the new floorcovering. I have mentioned before that he is not the daintiest of souls being 6'4" with shoulders that only just go through a door frame. Oh the language and cussing, banging and ripping! Who'd have though that such a little job could cause such a palaver!

11 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

Glad your back is feeling better and the bug gone too. Don't all men make a song and dance doing DIY?
'Twill soon be spring!

. said...

Glad you're back is feeling better and the bug has gone. It is rotten at this time of year, it's enough to get anyone down.

Anonymous said...

I remember Barnstaple when I was a little girl. We used to go to Woolacombe every year for our summer holidays and my mum always insisted on a shopping trip to Barnstaple to buy presents for everyone. We now have friends who lived there although I haven't seen them for a long time.

Crystal xx

Frances said...

Hello Toady,
That walk must have been lovely, even if it meant sharing the landscape with lots of fellow travelers!
Even without a photo, you gave us a good picture of the home improvement contortions.
Best wishes. xo

Norma Murray said...

It is strange how 'jobs' have to be oiled with special language. My man is just the same when it comes to DIY.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Thats cruel ...a 6' 4" man in a little bathrom ...my 6'4" son has offered to paint the ceilings in both bathrooms ...I may learn some new words!!!
Lovely walk.

CAMILLA said...

Dear Toady,
So pleased that your back is feeling much better and the horrid bug thing has passed. Not long before the Spring time Toady, this is not the best time of year.

Love Camilla.xx

Zoƫ said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better, I think we have caught the decorating bug too. Let's hope the weather stays good for you, its been like spring here today and the bird's are all excited.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Didn't read like a moan at all, Toady - I totally understand your feelings about this time of year. Love your bobbin picture and your new-look blog page.

Woozle1967 said...

Hi Toady - good to hear your back is better. Enjoy the sunshine - it just lifts your heart doesn't it? Hope it lasts.....x

Pondside said...

Sorry to hear that you've been laid up (and trussed too!!!) I hope that by now things are getting better for you. I love the photo of your display - gorgeous things!