Wednesday, 18 March 2009


It was a lovely day here in Devon yesterday. The bus to Barnstaple skirts around the edge of Bideford Bay with lovely views out over the estuary. The sea and sky were sapphire blue and when the bus pulls along the beach front at Instow I could see lots of people walking dogs and sitting on the sands.

After a fruitless rummage around the charity shops I made my way to the jewellers, the purpose of my visit. I had heard that scrap gold was worth selling so I collected together odd earrings and broken chains and bracelets expecting enough perhaps for a new pair of jeans. I was truly amazed when the chap told me it was £100 worth. So I now have two new pairs of jeans and a few other bits that I needed. Reeesult!


I'm still badly shaken over the death of my oldest friend Joyce. How cruel the world can be. She and her husband were making a lovely new life in retirement in Cyprus when within three weeks of diagnosis she died from bone cancer. I cannot accept that she has gone because although we rarely saw each other we both knew the other was there. I nicknamed her Beattie One Spot. God knows why, the reason lost in time. Memories have just come flooding back of good times together. A trip to Longleat in our battered old Cortina when the monkeys sat on the bonnet and did unspeakable things. A hot Easter weekend in Paris when we walked our legs off and ran out of money and went very hungry. Bye bye my dear friend.


As a diversion I have tried to keep busy and I've been knitting like a thing possessed. I'm doing bunnies at the moment. This is the third.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toady, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, it is a terrible shock for you and life can be so very cruel to us.

I have a life long friend who lives in Barnstaple and I am hoping to get down to visit her in the summer. We used to spend many family holidays in Woolacombe.

CJ xx

Elizabethd said...

And very sweet he is too...the rabbit I mean1
So sorry to hear you have recently lost a good friend.

Frances said...

Toady, It is good for you to be knitting those adorable bunnies. Surely some children are going have them become very dear friends. Children and toys can produce beautiful memories.

Your remembering lovely times with your friend is a very good way to say your farewells. You will surely carry all those times with you forever.

xo

Pipany said...

Time will make it a little easier Toady; it alwys does doesn't it? Love the rabbits xx

Faith said...

I'm sorry about your friend Toady, but remembering happy times is good. I have one of your adorable rabbits, and have tried to put a pic in common room but it wouldnt work, so will try again with a smaller pic.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but I found the blue text on your blog quite hard to read. xx

Quilting Cat said...

Loosing good friends is so sad, thank heavens for good memories. You are in a lovely part of Devon, we used to holiday at Clovelly years ago, before the visitor centre even! Keep those bunnies coming, they seem to be breeding like, well, rabbits.

Suffolkmum said...

I'd love to be on that beach at Instow. Your rabbits are great; I hope the busyness of making them helps you through the hard times of losing your friend.

Pondside said...

I'm so sorry to read about your loss of you dear friend, Toady.
That bunny is good grief therapy - so sweet.
I hope you're being good to yourself these days. Losing a good friend is like losing a bit of our own history - spend some time, as you did in your blog, remembering those good times, the funny and silly times that make you smile.
xo

Sally Townsend said...

Tried to leave a comment yesterday but failed, however your bus journey sounds my kind of day too. Sorry to hear about your friend, as CJ says Life can be so cruel. Love your knitted bunnies.

Cait O'Connor said...

Sorry to hear about your friend's passing it must have been a shock for you. Remember the good times, she wouldn't want otherwise.