Friday, 20 February 2009

Crafting is Good for You

There it's official, crafting is good for you.

So I have been knitting furiously to try and stave off the January and February blues.




If you're interested see here http://www.folksy.com/shops/ToadyBobbins
They say you should never go back but with the aid of Google Earth I thought I'd have a quick look around the part of East London where I grew up. Naturally I started with the road where we lived and then worked my way across to my old secondary school. The William Morris Technical and High School is gone, it is no more, it is now what appears to be a housing developement. In my mind I can't see how a stonking great three story, red brick building can just have disappeared. Ok as a school it was totally impractical and a good ten minutes could be lost going up and down three floors and across playgrounds to annexes between lessons, and it was probably a nightmare to maintain, but it was my school and I feel cheated.
Likewise on the walk to school was an equally massive red brick church with it's associated vicarage and church halls. This is where I went to Brownies, Guides and Youth Club and had a terrible crush on Alan one of the choir boys. There was an allotment where Mr and Mrs Honeysett could usually be found raising flowers for the church and growing a few veggies. It's gone too. I thought at least the vicarage would have survived but no, all gone.

7 comments:

Norma Murray said...

Gosh Toady, where on earth are they going to put your blue plaque when you're famous? I love your knitted teddies.

Pondside said...

Very cute teddies!
I think it's true, that 'you can't go back' even with Google Earth. I've tried to google my house here, but wouldn't you know it - it's just a big dark messy blotch, as though there should be a sign "Here be Dragons"

Frances said...

Hello Toady,

Your knitted teds are just scruptious! You will do very well with them.

I have several New York friends who have the same story about their childhood spots now being only addresses. One friend said the apartment building he grew up in was torn down to build a behemoth, his primary school and high school were also torn down to build behemoths.

I remember walking around the East End years ago and seeing those blue plates Lampie mentions. They were attached to vast modern buildings, but somehow spoke of someone who lived in a very different place, on that same site.

I'm just glad that you and your knitting needles and wonderful sense of humor are only a click away.

xo

Anonymous said...

Lovey teds, Toady. I enjoy being nostalgic, have posted a blog today about a house I use to live in. Think being sentimental has a lot to do with it.

CJ xx

Pipany said...

Hi Toady. Knitting like a mad woman here too. Bit worried it is turning into an obsession!!! Love those teddies xx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Oh, Toady - that's sad, isn't it. I think both my junior and secondary school have now gone - and I don't think of myself as that ancient, yet, so I find it a bit shocking. I imagine the William Morris school to be one of those lovely, peaceful Arts & Crafts type places. Love those knitted teds, though.

Suffolkmum said...

I am hopeless with change, can't bear to see how whole areas become unrecognisable. I wish I could knit, am very envious.