Saturday, 6 December 2008

I must say that.....

.. I've had better weeks. The house has been riddled with germs and sadness as we lost a very dear friend to cancer. I was a smashing bloke. Quiet and charming, well educated and unassuming. The news of his death came on Monday when we had both been fighting bugs for two days. We knew that he would not recover but were shocked none the less.

OH started this round of sickness on the Friday night. He had worked a very late shift and came in chilled to the marrow at around midnight. The chills spread to his tummy and the rest of the weekend he was playing a very tricky game of russian roulette not knowing where the next fit of coughing would lead. The doctor prescribed giant antibiotics because he thought that he had contracted food poisoning. I succumbed late on Monday when after supper I just realised that I hardly had the energy to stand up and started shivering.

After a couple of very unpleasant sweaty days in bed I dragged myself out of the pit on Thursday. I had agreed to do a craft fair in Appledore and have been frantically making for weeks and it was the last local fair of the season. Dosed with Day Nurse and paracetamol and armed with tissues and cough sweets I managed to set up stall. L joined me when she finished work and we did have quite a successful time. A little light in a very dark week. I even won a raffle prize.

So now we have the to set the house back straight after a week of neglect and will only try to instill a little Christmas cheer after the funeral on Friday.

5 comments:

Pondside said...

So sorry to hear about your awful week - the sickness and the loss of your friend. I hope that the next week brings some relief for you and OH.
xo

bradan said...

It is sad to lose a friend so young. A friend of mine lost her husband, aged 46, to cancer a couple of weeks ago.
I do hope that you and OH are feeling better now, Toady. xx

mountainear said...

Do hope you are feeling better now, can't have helped losing a good friend. my thoughts are with you in that respect.

Frances said...

Toady, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Far, far too young.

May I say that I know of many others who have not had much positive news recently, so perhaps this is a time for all us pals to just make our own sunlight and happiness, and give strength to all of that.

Congratulations of your award! Well done on getting to that craft show even when you weren't 100%. In my shop I always have to turn up, even when I would so, so prefer to stay under the covers.

Sometimes just turning up for such a day surprises me with some unexpected joy. Not always, mind you, but the curiousity in my makes me throw off those covers!

x0

Exmoorjane said...

Toady, my heartfelt condolences on the death of a very special friend. I am so very very sorry. What a horrible time this is. I do so hope you and OH are feeling (physically) better. I know the emotional hurt will be there for a long time to come.
All love
Janexxx