Friday, 25 April 2008

I've Started So I'll Finish - But When?

I really don't know how I got into such a muddle. The house and back garden look like a tornado came through. Things started and then due to the weather, timing and general apathy not finished.

I started on some glass and made one test panel. Not too bad considering I haven't done any for 6 years. I cut some more and then the cold weather came back and it's really cold down in the shed so no further progress.

We had a lovely balmy day last Sunday so I made a start on the end bed by the new shed. We bought a crab apple as a small memorial to our darling Bo. We had a beauty in France and that was his place to sit and survey his kingdom and it's my abiding memory of him. Now I don't want anybody to imagine froths of blossom and clusters of fruit because basically all we have here at the moment is well, a stick. Gardeners are nothing if not patient. I'm still desperately looking for signs of life on my banana but all I have at the moment is a tatty stump. Perhaps a few days of hot weather. I remember that. I planted lots of cannas and sprinkled round some poppy seeds and nigella. It's looking very bare at the moment. I brought the big pot with the jasmine through from the front and OH put a trellis on the side of the shed, so it's slowly coming together. I repotted all Mother's herbs that were getting pot bound and she wants them out in the front so that she can tend them more easily as there are not many steps out there.
The hard work last year in the front has paid off. I already have one of the lavenders in full bloom and the hysteria [ wisteria ] is already out and showing off something rotten.

We had to get up at stupid o'clock [5 am ] on Wednesday to get Mother down to hospital in Exeter for an angiogram. She is fine, well as fine as she can be. It was like a sausage factory. Twelve in by 8 am, treated and sent home and then another twelve in at 2. While she was in we went up into to town and as desperately as I tried I couldn't spend any money. All shops now seem to clones of each other selling the same old same old. I spent a few bob in the pound shop. How sad is that? We had a nice lunch in Wagamamas though which made up for it a bit.

Apropos my last blog I think I've found Northdown Lodge where Kingsley did lots of his writing and the daft thing is I've been walking past it for years. There's an unadopted road that runs from the street down past the backs of some 60's houses that leads to the nature reserve where I walk Minnie on a daily basis. Just by the gate there is a Georgian house which for years looked deserted but has lately been converted to a home for disabled people. They have a large minibus parked outside emblazoned with Northdown Lodge. Doh! How many times have I walked past and not made the connection? I'll do a bit more detective work. Sherlock Holmes I aint.

10 comments:

Blossomcottage said...

Well done for being first and not treading on anyones heels!!I too planted a Crabapple this year and like you at this point its a stick but hey it will grow and your Bo will love it. Lets hope the warmer weather continues and the garden blooms forth soon.
Blossom

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Darn it wanted to elbow past evryone and comment first.

I laughed at the stick bit - gardeners have to have creative forward vision. Understand about starting things all over the place - never finishing them until you can't go anywhere house, or garden with out metaphorical fingers stabbing accusingly at you.

Also know the feeling of not being able to find anything to spend money on - also part of getting older as well as everywhere selling the same stuff.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

EVERY

Milla said...

these shops are all the same, and all the bossy roads with bossy signage. I hardly ever go to town as it's all too pfaffy! Dread to think what I'll be like when a proper Old Timer. Mind you with everything so expensive, I'm kind of relieved there's no temptation. Our wisteria is thinking about it (thank God, had to hack it down last year as rampant and illtrained and curled round the house so am most relieved it didn't sulk and die on me but it's going to take a lot of work since has never been looked after).

Frances said...

Toady, I admire all that you have got underway. Also envy you having a garden!
As for the clothes shopping, you will just have to come over and visit my shop. Our customers come to us, bearing all sorts of tales about what else is "out there" that really doesn't appeal to them at all.
xo

Norma Murray said...

How have I missed all your blogs lately. I've just a a fair few minutes catching up.
I agree about the forward thinking of gardeners. I have a lovely apple tree I've grown from a cutting. Well I think it is lovely, but I will probably be an old lady by the time it is big enough to produce any fruit.

DevonLife said...

hello Bideford, can you hear me!? I too planted a crab apple stick this week. We should have a stick-off to see who is performing the best

Faith said...

A friend had a 2 for 1 at Wagamamas but I have to say I didnt fancy the menu and persuaded her to go for a pizza instead. Is it all noodles there?

Good luck with your stick - everyone seems to have one, maybe I should plant one!

Pipany said...

I love crab apples Toady; ours turned out to be sold to us as a fraud but looks very pretty.

Know what you mean about starting and not finishing!!! xx

CAMILLA said...

Hi Toady,

Just catching up. We have a large apple tree which is a Bramley, lots of fruit each year for the picking,I do love it this time of the year when covered in Pink Blossom.

Know the feeling about starting and not getting finished Toady.

Camilla.xx