Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Max's Balls and the January Blues

The main subject of conversation this week in these parts has been poor Max's balls[ see piccie on the right]The poor lad has been to the vet and now has anti inflammitary and antibiotics. The problem is that he does tend to use them as brakes when running about, they got grazed and of course he 'tended' to them himself and they blew up like a pair of beef tomatoes. I keep urging L to have the op, even offered to pay for it, but she refuses. I do think he'd be a happier chap without them though.

Minnie's dirty phase seems to have come to an end and I've put it down to a bit of seperation anxiety with OH away. I have moved her feeding time to the morning and diligently chucked her out in the garden several times a day with lots of praise and treats when she performs and nothing if she doesn't. So far so good. The hall carpet is now several shades of fawn where I have scrubbed it with bio washing powder. It came with the house and I never really liked it so it will be replaced when we redecorate.

I've given my blog site a bit of a facelift. How I wish that you could decorate real rooms so quickly. I don't think our sitting room has been touched for about 15 years and is in dire need of a make over. It has a mock stone extended fireplace - I think they were made by Bradstone and were de rigeur in the 70's, artexed ceiling, and a mock border around the the walls at the half way height. Whoever did it was far too mean to buy proper borders and had made their own by cutting and painting plain wallpaper. Unfortunately they were no great shakes with the scissors and the lines are decidedly wavy. I'd love to get it done but the thought of all the mess from removing the fireplace and skimming the ceiling and God only knows where we'd put all the furniture in the iterim, it's just too much at the moment.

January is a very tricky time for me and I'm not at my best [ whatever that is ] It's a filthy dark wet morning, has rained all night and the forecast gives it all week. I have no inclination to get on with anything much and have spent most afternoon's while OH is away catching up with recorded dramas and movies. I have been working my way through the Stephen Poliakoff [sp?] season. I just love his stuff, so elegantly written and performed and I can identify with his obsessions with the past and the photography that inspires it.

OH is back on Friday, gales permitting as the helicoptor will not fly if it's too bad. He rings every night and I think that this time he he hasn't really enjoyed it and he's missing his home comforts which is strange as they have a chef in the Marisco who has been plying them with the most delicious restaurant grade meals and I expect him to come back half a stone heavier. We must both go on diets next week!

15 comments:

Faith said...

Toady you hole up, keep warm and watch films. Its too nasty to be out! Glad doggie's behaving a bit better.

Milla said...

January is grim, am thoroughly fed up with winter grinding on and on. Gales outside now, Toady, so know exactly what you mean. And we have the twin of your fireplace. An evil brute. We were quoted 2 GRAND to remove and replace - this included ONE day's labour for two men and the new fire was no great shakes, being just a fire, with no mantlepiece of slips or hearth. Can you believe! Surprisingly we declined that little offer. And if you work out the golden way to stop *loody dogs crapping inside, tell me pronto! At least the days are slooowwwwlly getting longer. At least they would be if it weren't so murky and one could actually see. And that description of Max's balls, which I am doing my utmost to forget, was truly horrible. Was contemplating a tomato in my sandwich at lunchtime. Not no more I'm not!

Elizabethd said...

Rest and relax while you can. The weather we are having here is no delight and all one wants to do is curl up with a good book by the fire.

Casdok said...

Hope Max feels better soon.
Love the face lift!

Norma Murray said...

I can usually manage January, but February, that is a month I hate.
I love your stall. It is so charming and creative. Great stuff!

bodran... said...

Leave his balls alone!! Ask tyson its no fun though the images of tomatoes made me giggle.
We took an awful though perfectly working 70's fireplace out of here, and found a gorious ingle nook Thats never bloody worked, not that i want the old one back..xxx I loath febuary, this month seems to be flying by but Febuary goes on for ever........xxo

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Hi there, Toady. I think your new page looks great - I find a fresh start is good for awakening a new sense of purpose. I think a lot of us can identify with the January blues - it's a cold, dreary time of year, and in our case very wet so far. My advice is to hunker down and keep nice and cosy. And indulge in films, tasty snacks and whatever you fancy - this time of year is no time for abstaining.

LBD xx

abcd said...

Hope Max recovers soon, our dog Max lost his balls at 7 years old on vets advice and never looked back, we just wished we done it sooner!
Gorgeous photos.

Frances said...

Hello Toady,

You've written a great January blog. I really liked the way you got all sorts of topics into perspective! I would love to be able to watch old movies, or even some new movies in the afternoon.

This week I began to be able to tell that the day light is lasting longer. Glad of that.
And the site's new decor looks just fine.

xo

Exmoorjane said...

Love the makeover, Toady! Very chic and delicious. Yup, January is a tough one, no doubt about it....keep your chin up, darlin' - not long before we get the bulbs coming up and the world turns again.
Ouch, who'd want balls? Whip 'em off for sure.
And fabulous that you've got the dirty problem sorted....

Loved your comment on mine re Madam....I can't see it either!
jxxx

Pipany said...

Oh so with you Toady, though it's February for me - shortest month but usually the worst weather. As the others said, hole up and do whatever feels right for you. Poliakof season was brilliant wasn't it? Forcing myself outdoors for a few mins every couple of hours, even if just into the garden to stand in the ruddy rain, sometimes makes me feel slightly better when I come back inside, but I am sure I am not telling you owt new. Just take care xx

Kathleen said...

Although I am in complete sympathy with poor Max's situation I was holding my breath after reading "see piccie on the right", anticipating a photo shoot of balls the size of tomatoes. And then breathed a sigh of relief when it was only a shot of Maxie's face and those gorgeous little ribbons on his ears.

So glad that Minnie's out of the poop phase...but fawn is a nice color and with several shades gracing the carpet, it must look quite modern by now. The photo of Ms. Minnie is beautiful. She looks like a different dog!

Love the new look of your blog!

. said...

Quite agree with you Toady, January horrible month and this year far too wet! Personally I've been enjoying watching the afternoon repeats of Lovejoy on ITV3 when I've not been working (which is most of the time)!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

I detest january as well ...its just the pits! But love the new look and glad you are sorting the dog out.

CAMILLA said...

Hi Toady,

I always think that January is the longest darkest month, so am with you there.

I love the new makeover Toady, brilliant, and all such beautiful products, of which one sits very proudly with me always, thank you.

I love the Stephen Poliakov plays, wish we could see more of them.

Good news about Minnie's training of dirty habits, but oh, poor Max, do hope he recovers soon.

A lovely Blog Toady.

Camilla.xx